Friday, July 17, 2009

Friends and Flowers


You know when you lay in bed at night and you can’t go to sleep and your mind won’t quit thinking….well that was me last night. One of the things I was thing about last night was friendship. I was thinking how precious they are. I was also thinking how friendships can be like flowers.
Every year I plant some annuals out in front of my house. They bloom for a short period of time, but I love them while they are there. Some friendships are like annuals. You are thrown together with some people for short periods of time and for some reason that friendship fades away after awhile. It might be because you moved or got a new job. Lots of friendships revolved around children, if you had any, and their interests. As their interests change so did the friendships.
I also have some perennials planted in my yards. Without fail, they come back every year. If you are lucky, you have a few friendships like the perennials you have planted in your yard. No matter what, they are always there. You may not see them daily, weekly or even yearly, but you know deep down they would be there for you in heart beat. I am lucky enough to have a few friends I think of like that. One I can think of is a friend I made when I moved to Maryland at the age of 16. Not an easy time to make a move. When my dad wanted me to meet his boss’ daughter I thought …great this is going to be the longest day of my life. Well, it turned out to be one of the best days of my life because I met my lifelong friend. We went to the same high school. We got our first jobs together. We met boys together (one of which she eventually married). After high school, my family moved again, but we stayed in contact. Over the years our lives took different directions. She married and had kids several years before me but we continued to stay in touch. We didn’t see each other often but we both knew the other was there if they were needed. We both continue to have busy lives, me with a couple of athletic teenagers and her with a business; but I know if I needed her, she would be there for me and I would do the same for her.
Take some time to think about that friend who is like that perennial flower you have planted in your yard, always there year after year. Give them a call, send them an email. Better yet call my friend who has been there since I was 16 and order some flowers to let them know you are thinking about them. By the way, my friend is the owner of Little House of Flowers.

1 comment: